Marland Clutch History

History of Marland Clutch

US Customer Service

Customer Service
1-800-216-3515

Application Support
1-800-216-3515

info@marland.com

Company History

Marland Clutch, a part of Altra Industrial Motion, was founded by Joseph A. Marland in 1931 using the company name of Wonway Clutch Co. In early 1955, the company name was changed to Marland One-Way Clutch Co. and today the industry known brand name is Marland Clutch. Joseph Marland developed a robust design with key concepts of uniform load distribution that is assured by full-phasing, cage controlled roller actions. All rollers are positively guided to engage simultaneously and maintain their relative position accurately, to share equally the clutch load.

Marland remains the world leader in the design and manufacturing of backstopping and overrunning clutches by providing quality robust designs that have exceeded industry performance requirements for maximizing operational uptime.

The Marland Clutch product offering has expanded to a wide range of clutches with over 100 different catalog standard models in addition to many special customer specific designs, accommodating shaft sizes up to 600 mm (23.5 in.).

Marland Clutch has optimized ramp and roller technology to make the most durable family of products available. Marland Backstops are mounted on inclined conveyor head shafts and automatically prevent any reverse rotation of the head shaft or movement of the conveyor during a scheduled or un-scheduled stoppage under load. Marland CECON (Completely Enclosed for Continuous Operation) clutches are used in critical dual drive applications where the operation cannot be stopped for routine maintenance, such as in oil refineries. Marland CEBMAG provide automatic means for controlling reversal of kiln, during planned or emergency shutdown situations. As a global supplier of key products that protect manufacturing, Marland’s quality management system is certified to ISO 9001:2008.

ISO 9001 SGS System Certification